WELCOME TO THE COLLECTIVE
Voices is a daily student-run news and media publication that witnesses, teaches, and listens to the multiple truths of Swarthmore. Voices is a place where people understand the power of their words. The publication focuses on a theme of “your silence will not protect you,” opening up conversations that need to be had on the campus and protecting the livelihoods of those who are marginalized through advocacy and guidance, particularly those whose voices are often ignored, yet not limited to.
We are women. We are men. We are non-binary. We are people of color. We are non-POC. We are on the LGBT spectrum. We are all different, but those differences paint a beautiful picture. We all have a mission of making this world a better place through social action. We ask the question: Whose stories get told and why? We want to dissect that question, and ask ourselves how we can uplift all of them.
We are not a spectacle. We are not people to be tokenized. We are not to be treated as the “diverse person” on the front of a college brochure, and we are not statistics to be gloated about. We are humans with boundless visions. This publication is a space for us to talk about the real issues in which affect us, and to have real discussions to foster growth in our minds, souls, and hearts. Our diverse backgrounds allow for intense discussion on our forum, and we celebrate our individual and shared experiences. If you are not an ally, this platform is not for you.
Our sections include, but are not limited to,
- Stories (Relevant news on campus, lectures, talks, happenings)
- Culture (Arts, identities and visions)
- Health (Beauty Standards, Wellness for People of Color, Self-Care)
- Perspectives (Opinions, reprinted statements by people/groups' protests)
- Phenomenal Writings (Short fiction/Poetry)
- Procrastination (Games, Quizzes)
- Lonely? (Find a new friend; tell us some things about yourself!)
- Blessings Up (Relevant Resources)
- Events for the week
- Collections (Reflections to be posted; an online, interactive version of our Quaker tradition)
Voices is not your average student-run newspaper.
Rather, Voices is a think-tank, constantly challenging others and ourselves to grow.
Welcome to the Collective.
The Voices Collective